The following is a quoted overview of Middleburg, Virginia's history:
"...In 1728, Joseph Chinn opened an 'ordinary' to provide food and lodging, where travelers could stop at the halfway point between Alexandria and Winchester (hence, Middleburg). People settled around the tavern in a small hamlet and called it Chinn's Crossroads. When he inherited 3,300 acres from his father, Chinn sold 500 to Levin Powell, who laid out and incorporated a town of 70 half-acre lots in 1787. Rather than selling the lots Powell leased them, stipulating that each tenant build a house at least 16 feet square, with a stone or brick chimney, within one year.
Chinn's Crossroads became Middleburg and by 1836 had grown to a population of 436, with 70 dwellings, seven stores, two churches, four schools, two hotels, and a number of small workshops. During the Civil War, Middleburg was the site of significant action. After the Second Battle of Manassas, 1200 wounded men were hauled by wagon over rough roads to Middleburg, where the Free Church and the Methodist Church both had been converted into hospitals and townspeople were taking wounded into their homes and providing tent sites in their yards. At Mt. Sharon Cemetery, Middleburg erected one of the first memorials in the country to honor unknown war casualties. Today, most of the original structures in Middleburg are still in use, and Chinn's Ordinary, which has been operating continuously since its opening, is now the famous Red Fox Inn. . Middleburg has long been a destination to people from all over the world who appreciate the area's thriving equine industry. The Historic District of the Town of Middleburg has been designated a Virginia Historic Landmark. ..." 50 Corridor Coalition
Walk around the cemetery both inside the wrought iron gate and outside, as well. The gravestones are varied and interesting. There is also a Rodin Sculpture, although quite weathered; it is interesting to see. There are many confederate soldiers buried here with confederate flags by the grave stones.